Saturday, November 17, 2018

The Tale of the Man on Tossing Starfish back into the Sea has Changed


I see the following post on Facebook, from a Sybele Capezzuti:

California doesn't have enough shelters for evacuees fleeing wild fires, but their arms are opened to migrants 

And, I post my reply:
Another meme sowing seeds of division, pitting one needy people against another and suggesting we can only help one. I think of the story of the man walking on the beach, picking up starfish as he goes and tossing them back into the sea. Another man comes along and criticizes him, saying, "You can't save them all." These days, the story line has changed a little. These days, the man walks along the beach, picking up the starfish, and examines them before deciding whether to toss them back in the sea. "Are you a Democrat or a Republican?" he asks. "Does your cause even have anything to do with helping those who we Republicans care about, because I've only got time and money for them."
I would like to say the Democrats are the same way, but I don't see that. They seem willing to help everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment