Sunday, September 8, 2019

Political Hatred Fills Our Social Media

  I read down the news feed on my Facebook page,  post after post ridiculing the political position of others, condemning, spewing hatred, and expressing contempt.
  I think back on the Mueller Report, and of how it warned the Russians are propagandizing, feeding us on social media with bites to incite us against each other, and to divide us. If posts I am seeing are not them, then what are?
  A sick feeling crosses me. I feel sad and sickened. Wanting to do something, I post the following on my Facebook page:
  Here's a challenge to my FB friends. 
 Look at your last 10 posts and see how many of them 
conveyed hatred or contempt for others.
  Political hatred? Does hatred become okay when it is of the political variety? When you are hating presidents or Congress members, or movie stars -- does hatred then become okay?
  I think on my own Facebook posts, wondering if I am a hypocrite and have also posted comments full of contempt and hatred toward others. I search down a  short ways, and find none, but think of how I have been negative toward President Trump. I do not go down far enough to find them, to review them. But, I hope that if I did, I would find that while they disagree with the president, they do not reflect hatred or contempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment