Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Throwing Religion at Each Other as We Consider Children at the Border

   So, are we being but self-righteous, sanctimonious, and using the scriptures as weapons if we quote the Savior saying, "Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of heaven," and throw it at our conservative friends, saying, "Right there is why we should let in all the children down at the border"?

   Holier than thou? Are we taking shaming to a new level -- the worst level -- shaming them by insinuating that if they do not agree we should let in the hundreds, the thousands of unaccompanied children, then they just aren't good Christians?

   I mean, Christ did go on to say, "Whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea." Unload that scripture on these conservative friends of ours upset with the children at the border.

  I believe in the scriptures. I find it not wrong to tie them into our decisions in what we do on social issues. In fact, I think there's not a better place to start -- when you are looking at social issues and deciding what stand to take -- than the scriptures. Some will say, don't mix politics with religion. I suggest, instead, we could use more of the morals found in the scriptures as we search our way in what to do in this world of affairs we live in.

   But, no, I am not trying to tell the conservative he or she is a wicked person if they can't see that the scripture would have us let in all the children -- and others -- rushing our borders. I will offer this, though: For years, they have been throwing it at us that it is we who are not following the gospel. They point to scripture that speaks of following the laws of the land and they get very indignant with the portion of immigrants who cross the border in defiance of the laws of our land. They toss religion at me. They use it for a weapon. I am not taking this shaming to a new level. They already have. They would suggest that I believe differently than they, it is I who am not adhering to the teachings of the church.

  That said, let both sides have their beliefs without us judging them as being non-Christians, without suggesting they are in open defiance of the principles of Christianity. I will add this, as part of my opinion: A person doesn't have to base their beliefs on what scripture says. Some of the best thinkers on social issues, who reach the soundest decisions, are not even Christian. They are atheists, at times.

  But, if a person does base their beliefs on what they read in scripture, that is not wrong. Let him (or her). But, let it be realized, accepted, and agreed that we are not all going to apply the scriptures the same way. I know this, emphatically: Those upset with immigrants coming across the border include some of the best people, best Christians, best followers of Christ I know.  


No comments:

Post a Comment