Friday, February 25, 2011

On Sarcasm and Civility

I'm failing to study civility daily, or at least to write on the topic each day.

So, this day, at least, I repent.

What of sarcasm? I'm in a Facebook discussion and someone suggests Utah is a sanctuary state for undocumented residents. I consider replying:

"Sanctuary? I think that's what someone had in mind when they posted that sign at our border, saying, 'Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free . . .' That sign still stands, but the principle it espouses has gotten lost somewhere along the way."

Actually, I'm not sure that is overly in-your-face sarcasm, but, still, I might do better to lighten it. If I offend someone, I won't be winning them over to my way of thinking. So, I'm better to make the point without the sarcasm.

I might try this:

"I do wish we would be a sanctuary for these people. I like the philosophy expressed by Emma Lazarus. Although she doesn't use the word, she does, in essence, call for us to be a sanctuary.

" 'Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddle masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me.'

"Not that they oppose the sentiment of that poem, but many feel we simply must limit how many "homeless, tempest-tost" we let in. They want the huddled masses, but do not want the problems they suggest immigrants often bring along with them.

I say, Let them all in, or at least all not found with criminal backgrounds."

The second take makes it clear I am not accusing anyone of not being against letting the tired and poor in. So, it is more civil. The second take also takes the time to state why people do not want immigrants. Stating the other person's position is a form of civility. Thirdly, it cuts the slight edge of sarcasm out.

2 comments:

  1. I read this and I feel the need to stop and pause. The poem speaks volumes. I do wish it was not falling on deaf ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do often, treat them as "wretched refuse."

    ReplyDelete