Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Reflections on Civility, Day 4

Laughing at others is impolite. What is the phrase, "Were not laughing at you; we're laughing with you"? If you cannot say you are laughing with them, then you are probably laughing at them. And, if you say you are laughing with them, double-check your feelings, lest you really be justifying yourself and actually be laughing at them.

Yes, sometimes, the things we do are funny and it makes others laugh. Othertimes, laughing is no more than a outward expression of a mocking feeling toward another.

What of hard laughter, of loud laugher? Not all laughter comes from the same heart. There is joyful laughter, hearty laughter, and . . . loud (sometimes even angry) laughter. I pictured this form of laughter in my mind and noticed I don't hear it coming from those I admire most, not from people I consider honest-of-heart, caring individuals.

So, consider the sound of your own laughter. Joyful laughter is good. Tickled-pink laughter is good. Great-relief laughter is good. But there is a laughter that bears the banner of hate. Listen to the tone, and avoid the hard-edged laughter.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite saying is "Fools Mock, but they shall Morn" Laughing at others is a mockery unless they are clowning for it. I think we all have a little clown in us wanting to get out.

    But, it is the time we feel most vulnerable that laughing at others is no laughing matter. I some times laugh at myself. Laughter can also be a healing way of pushing out negative poison from the soul. Norman Cousins insists that it is what brought him away from the brink of death. I guess there really is "a time to laugh and a time to cry". We just need to be wise in deciding when the best time is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wisdom from the heart of a William. I like the reference to Ecclesiastes. I like "Laughing at others is mockery unless they are clowning for it." I like the tie to "Fools mock but they shall morn."

    Perhaps most, I like your thought that laughing at others is not laughing matter.

    ReplyDelete