Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Studies in Civility, Page Three

Today, I was biting my lip as I and a friend discussed a public figure.

Is it civil to pass along information, albeit perhaps true information, when it reflects negatively upon someone?

Remember what Thumper learned from his dad: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."

What about if it is true? And what about if the person you're talking about might not even mind? Or, are those just two of the ways for justifying a little gossip?

I did share the information with my friend, deciding it had been in the newspaper. But, I later had this thought: Newspapers should publish such information, but that doesn't mean I should be quick to pass it along. Newspapers have an obligation to provide news about public figures, so they should. But, do I have such an obligation? What if the information I have is about an elected official, and it affects whether you support the person? Don't I have an obligation to pass it on, so you can make a better, more-informed decision?

I'm still considering that, as I head for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment