Thursday, August 16, 2012

Health Care Reform Overlooks This

Would that talk of health care reform considered speeding up treatment of life-threatening illnesses.

Like treatable heart problems. This one, I speak of from personal experience. My ejection fraction dropped low enough that it was in danger of stopping at any time. I had good doctors, but they were scheduling the tests weeks away. That is just the way our medical system works.

If a man could die, it makes more sense to do the tests immediately, so you can get the person properly treated quicker.

Now, I see the same slowness of system as my mother is ill. The schedule procedures, send biopsy samples off to laboratories with the results days away, and I sit wondering if proscribing a treatment is waiting on the outcome, which I'm sure it is.

I do not know altogether for certain that the two forms of cancer are fast-moving, or whether quick diagnosis and treatment might save a life, but, yes, that does seem probable.

I would love my mother to live. I would love that the system treated her life more as urgent care, transporting the biopsy sample by airplane, if necessary, and bringing the diagnosis and treatment quicker.

Health care reform can mean a lot of things. This, certainly, to me, seems to be something we should change, something we should be not allowing to remain the way it is.

When diagnosis can humanly be rendered within a day, if a life is at stake, it should be. No more scheduling things for days and sometimes weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment