Sunday, August 26, 2012

'How Great Thou Art' Greatest Hymn Ever

I looked around the room, while the song was being sung, to see two or three people dabbing their eyes.

"How Great Thou Art," the greatest hymn ever written.

I remember once speaking to a friend, about the Holy Ghost or some such. I believe I mentioned to him that "How Great Thou Art" showed that people of all faiths can feel the Holy Ghost, for it was the greatest hymn ever, and yet it was not written nor composed by a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

He was quick to put me in line, suggesting there are a number of hymns just as great as "How Great Thou Art" that have been written by members of our faith. I took that correction then, but today as I listened to the song, and saw the wet eyes of the people in the room . . .

I thought, No, "How Great Thou Art" is the greatest hymn ever.

Among other songs I like a lot, and perhaps the one I consider the next greatest: "Lead, Kindly Light." Hmm. I'm fudging already. The first verse of "Lead, Kindly Light," does touch me about as much as "How Great Thou Art."

But, I don't remember ever seeing "Lead, Kindly Light" cause people to tear up, as I have with "How Great Thou Art."

No comments:

Post a Comment