Tuesday, September 18, 2012

150, Did You Say?

Bless the homeless, those without jobs, and bless those in need.

But, I do wonder a bit when I read in today's paper that the Department of Workforce Services in Utah determines who qualifies for 150 programs.

Back up and read that again. One-hundred-fifty? I wonder if I would cut any of them. Perhaps if I looked at each one, I'd say, "Yes, they all serve good purposes. They all are worthy."

I've posted recently that we need to cut the budget, but that instead of cutting programs entirely out of society, we should just remove them from government and place them in private enterprise, and private charity. Ive argued that if the economy is in jeopardy, and if stimuluses stimulate by injecting money into the economy, then doesn't it follow that if we take money out -- by cutting social programs -- then we will jeopardize the economy.

So, just shift them to private charities. Keep the money flowing through the economy.

But, I confess, 150 programs is a lot. We should, at least, review them and see what we are getting for our money.

No comments:

Post a Comment