Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Seeking Not to be Qualified by Money

The Lieutenant Governor's Office posts profiles of the candidates, and it asked me what qualifies me for office. I wrote:

What should be the qualifiers to serve? I am strong in morals and ethics. I have worked at becoming a lover of all people, including those who have different beliefs and values. I know the art of persuading by reasoning, instead of tearing others down, and this will serve me in getting bills passed.

My views on the issues qualify me.

My status in life can also be a plus. I am working class, not management. I am not well off financially. I drive a beat-up car. I do think we could elect more people from this class of our society.

One of my biggest qualifiers is that I am not accepting political contributions. It does strike me as wrong that the biggest campaign contributors are often the same people seeking legislation. I'm sorry, but no legislator should have money coming to him (or her) from those seeking legislation, even if the money supports a good cause.

Nor do I like it that the person who spends the most is often elected. I would to be elected without placing lawn signs, or sending mailers, or making robo calls.

What are my qualifications? Not money. For once, elect someone who refuses to be qualified by money.

No comments:

Post a Comment