Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Is This a Historic Shift in American Governance?

Are we witnessing one of the biggest shifts in governance in American history?

I cheered when I saw some of the early changes Obama made in our immigration system. Then, it finally reached through my thick little skull that these changes were being done by executive order. And, in the latest change or two, it was made clear and out-in-the-open that it was being done by executive order, as opposed to being by interpretation of existing law.

I think of a letter written to the President, from 200 or however many of our great legal minds, calling on Obama to use executive will. I think it was on the immigration issue. And, I wonder if such an endorsement as theirs furthered Obama's thoughts that this was the right way to govern. 

And, I think of the Mitt Romney ad, and of how it said on the first day in office, he would overturn Obamacare, and many of us wondered but what that could only be done so fast if done by executive order. Did Obama's seeing that Romney would use executive order further his resolve that it was right?

Some have seen what is happening and have responded by mockingly referring to our president as "King Obama." True, he is elected, and kings are usually not, But, kings of a sort can be elected. If we so want to reorder our government, we can make it so it is one where we elect a single leader to govern for us, saying, "Make for us whatever rules you will. Be for us a king for these next four years."

Our nation was not set up this way. It was set up for the Executive Branch to carry out the programs. But the making of laws was given to another, to the Legislative Branch. Now we find ourselves at a point in history where this is being challenged like never before, or so it seems to me.

I am much opposed to those who would take up arms against this country, and turn my voice against them, but we must be doing something. We must rise up against what is happening. We should be crying out to our Legislative Branch leaders to stand up. With each executive order, the Legislative Branch should move to stop it, politely passing legislation overruling it. In each case where the Legislative Branch feels the executive order was wise, it can follow the same day by making those same changes by legislative action. But, the Legislative Branch must insist that it is its power, not the president's, to make such decisions.

Yes, I will end this post with a nod to those who say I am overreacting, that it might not be as bad as it seems to me, and that amount of government-by-decree is no worse than it has been under others presidents. I will wonder but what you might be right. I can only respond that I can see the executive order being used (and that, alone, bothers me). And it does seem more than ever. And it does seem to be more accepted than ever. And it does seem our Constitution did not set it up this way. And it does seem we should do something if we cherish the  government we were given.

No comments:

Post a Comment