Tuesday, February 5, 2013


Tonight, I Think of Sexual Orientation

Alas, bedtime is upon me and I haven't posted. Quickly, then.

I choose to speak of gays, as I thought them today, what with the Boy Scouts considering the topic.

To reach the thought I came to, I started with this one: Each one of us has some insight, or can, into whether sexual orientation is locked in at birth: ourselves.

So, I considered myself. I've never been attracted to the opposite sex in the slightest way. But, let's suppose I were to make a mental decision to go there, do I believe I might end up there and enjoying it. I believe so.

Now, that would make me a bisexual, for I am not all convinced I could give up my attraction to females. I wonder, though, if long ago I mentally had found myself given to male attraction, if I might then have been able to have oriented all my attractions toward men, and convinced myself I did not like women. I do not know, but I will think about it and wonder some more.

Science cannot be easily discounted. No, not at all. Science says sexual attraction is something we are born with. But, I will wonder tonight as I go to bed. Science might well be right, but is there also a chance that we set our own orientation by the influences that come at us very early?

Perhaps not, but I do not think it wrong to wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment