Sunday, April 13, 2014

   Words from a scripture wafted to my mind as the sacrament was passed. They "judge him to be a thing of not . . . and he suffereth it."
   I thought how the Lord is our example, in all things, and surely He was being my example now. The day before, running for office, I had been rejected of convention voters. That I had not won nomination was one thing, but to get so few votes stung. It was as if I had been shunted aside as a thing of naught.
   The Savior, though, suffered much worse than I. As the words came to my wind, I picked up my scriptures to find the whole of the passage. "And the world, because of their iniquity, shall judge him to be a thing of naught; wherefore, they scourge him and he suffereth it; and they smite him , and he suffereth it. Yea, they spit upon him, and he suffereth it, because of his loving kindness and his long-suffering towards the children of men."
   I think of them scourging Him, of the look of hatred they surely had in their eyes as they mocked him. I think of them calling out as He hung on the cross, "He  saved others. Himself, he cannot save." I think of them dividing his clothes among themselves, as if His death was no more than a way for them to pick up a few items.
   And, I head for bed now, thinking I should think on this more, considering how Jesus might have felt, the pain He must have gone through. And yet, He not only suffered it, he sufferethed it. To "suffer" means only to go through pain. "Suffereth," to me, means you allow it.


No comments:

Post a Comment