Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Case of the Child Dragged in a Harness and the Marijuana Pipe

  I hear the story on KSL of two men dragging a 4-year-old child, tethering him to a tree, and then sitting down and lighting a glass pipe that appeared to contain pot.
  I think of the many times I've been told marijuana harms no one. I wonder if I am being wrong to wonder if the marijuana contributed to these two men's treatment of the child. Causation? No, some would say. After all, they lit up the pipe after they had dragged the child, not before. That isn't causation.
   But, of course the thought is, they could have been smoking the pot earlier, as well. No, I do not know so, but, I wonder.
   Some would say it is still wrong to blame marijuana. If the two men had been carrying a Bible, would I blame it on the Bible?
   The little 4-year old was in some kind of a harness with a leash attached to it. As they were crossing the street, the boy tripped, and rather than placing him back on his feet so he could walk, he was simply dragged the rest of the way across the street, over a curb, and through some wood chips to the tree, where one end of the leash was secured to the tree. That's not a normal way to treat a 4-year old. A person with good use of their faculties does not normally treat a young child that way. A person with impaired judgement? More likely.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29304488&nid=148&title=2-men-tied-child-to-tree-while-they-smoked-pot-police-say&s_cid=queue-5

No comments:

Post a Comment