Monday, March 31, 2014

Utah Appears to Need a Good Lemon Law

   I don't know whether there is a law in Utah against knowingly selling an item that has a flaw so serious that it will soon render the item inoperable. There is a lemon law against selling a new car while knowing it has significant defects that can't be repaired. Just new cars are covered, not used ones. And, the car has to be under warranty. That sounds like a useless lemon law, to me, since it doesn't seem to be providing any protection that the warranty isn't already providing.
   I'm sure you can take a seller to court for fraud when they sell items with defects so severe that the item will become inoperable soon after purchase. Still, I wonder that there shouldn't be a law against such sales. And, I'm surprised that I am not finding that such a law already exists. If there is no law, the unscrupulous seller might simply point to the fact and insist nobody can hold him (or her) liable.
   I say, make it a law so the unscrupulous have no leg to stand on.

http://utahlemonlaw.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment