Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Government Should Not Enforce Extorionate Rates

   I attended the Democrats' caucus tonight, and rose and spoke when they ask if there were other candidates. I haven't yet decided which party I'll run on (for Utah House District 44), and said as much, but probably shot myself in the foot by saying I might be a better fit for the Republican Party, due to my views on such things as abortion.
   Christine Passey, who was among those who campaigned hard for passage of the autism bill, has filed. She seems a very nice, maybe even wonderful person. Not expecting to speak, but having studied the autism issue to where I have an opinion on it, and as it was the topic of the moment, I spoke on that, and probably further shot myself in the foot in doing so, since the new legislation has so much support and I oppose the bill.
   Autism therapy can cost $150 per session. And many, many sessions pile up as treatment is ongoing through the years. I try to remember what I have read, and believe some families have paid out as much as a half million on therapy for their children.
   I do favor therapy for those with autism. I do believe every autistic child should be able to receive the therapy.
   What I don't believe is that it needs to cost so much.
   I'd target people willing to work for less, telling them they will be paid $30 an hour. Then, give them all the instructional material they need to learn. Their training will be complete when they pass tests showing they know everything that goes into conducting a good session and when they have observed sessions by someone already licensed and when they have been monitored and critiqued as they conduct a couple of sessions on their own. If the training takes only six months, so be it. If it takes longer, so be it. If a person knows everything it takes to conduct a session, why would we say they they are not qualified? If the current system is producing clinicians who command $150 an hour, then go this route and reduce the cost.
   I believe we should provide the same quality care now being provided. But, no, I do not believe it has to cost $150 per session. If the autism therapy profession is charging an extortionate amount, why should government put a gun to the head of the insurance companies and force them to pay it? We need to look for ways to reduce our medical costs, not enforce and mandate high rates with government.
   A lady came up to me later in the meeting, and told me it was an insult to the professionals to say they should only receive $20 an hour (I had said, "$20 an hour or however much" when I spoke, but after thinking it through, see they would need $30). I thanked her for her thought and hope I was respectful of her. I thought much later, after the meeting, though, that it is an insult to those with autism to say you will care for them only if they will make you rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment