Saturday, March 29, 2014

Society's Right ahead of Society's Interest on Alcohol and Same Sex

   That which is harmful so often becomes that which is illegal: drugs, breaking traffic rules, and even suicide. But, there is a notable exception: alcohol.
   If it were up to me, and the decision would not be opposed, I'd make alcohol illegal, again. I'd bring back  prohibition. But, well beknownst to all of us, that would be opposed. We've tried prohibition, and as a society we've decided it was a mistake.
   Society's right ahead of society's best interest, you might say.
   As it is with alcohol, so I see it with same-sex marriage. If we have reached a point where society cries for allowing same-sex marriage, so be it.
   And, I think we've reached and shot past that point quite rapidly just in the past few years.
   We could argue a ban against alcohol comes from the Judeo-Christian values we possess as a nation, same as a ban on same-sex marriages does. We could cite biblical injunctions against alcohol, same as we do against same-sex affection. We could quote Proverbs 23:29-30. "Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine."
   All this said, I find myself hesitating. I see the arguments, the good reasons for allowing same-sex marriage. But, I pause at the threshold of decision.


No comments:

Post a Comment