Friday, March 14, 2014

How the Violence is Spun Affects the Mind of the Person Watching it

   Tonight, I watched an old 2007 video of U.S. forces attacking civilians, slaughtering them. I was horrified.
   I thought how it is said that we become calloused by watching violence, how the trail of violence seen on television and in the movies leads to violence in our land. Well, I thought, No matter how many times I see this video, I am only going to be horrified. It is not going to lead me to commit such a crime, only to hate and abhor such a things.
    It occurred to me then that it is not so much the viewing of violence over and over that negatively influences us, but the emotions that we come to associate with the violence. Today's movies are spun so that the viewer revels in what he sees and has an emotional high. Perhaps it is the creation of that feeling within the viewer by the entertainment industry that is dangerous. I think of the video games, and how they create an association of excitement to go with killing. And, the movies, of course, do the same.
   Therein lies the danger.
   Watching such videos as I saw tonight, elicits feelings of horror, not excitement. Therefore, perhaps, such videos might actually have good influence upon a person, as the feeling of horror, not excitement, becomes associated with the violence.


No comments:

Post a Comment