Thursday, March 20, 2014

I Spurn the Democrats and Run as a Republican

   Today, hours before the filing deadline, I decided to run as a Republican (for Utah House District 44), as I think it gives me a better chance of overcoming the money concern. This district leans to the Democrats, so for the past two days since the Democratic caucus,  I had determined to run on that party. Here's why I changed my mind: The person who has filed as a Democrat is as economically disadvantaged as I (her husband works in a shop, an honorable job, but not a one to make a person wealthy, so I assume she will not have greater personal resources than I).  As the moment to register came, I realized that if I can win in convention as a Republican, I will not face an opponent with as much money in the general election.
   After registering, I headed for the gym, thinking to get a good quick workout before the caucus meeting. As I drove down the I-15, I spotted steam surging out from under the hood of my newly purchased car. I headed for a garage, and was told I probably blew a gasket and would need the engine replaced. Leaving the car at Pep Boys, I called for a ride to get me to the caucus meeting. I found a friend to pick me up but his car also overheated, and it, too, broke down before we got there. I walked a titch and -- being so late that every minute counted -- hitched a ride the last couple blocks. 
   I arrived just as they were to elect the precinct chair. When no one offered to fill the spot, I said I would. Someone questioned whether that would be a conflict of interest since I was running for office and they sent someone down the hall to see if it was legal, and it came back that it was. They then asked to see my credentials as a Republican. I hadn't asked for it, but the clerk's office had issued me a special certificate. Wished I would have brought it. Anyway, they declared me the chair, as no one had offered to run. About as quick as all that, though, a man named Russell asked if it was too late to run, and Shalene, the current chair, said it wasn't. They passed out ballots, and I lost. I am guessing it is because I said I had been a Democrat at times.  I probably should understand they didn't cotton to having a half-Republican running their precinct, nor running for office under the banner of their party.
   As you may know, one of the reasons for the Count My Vote initiative, one of the reasons some oppose the caucus-convention system, is that they perceive those at the extreme ends of the political spectrum gain control. I should have been paying closer attention to which office Ron, a friend of mine, ran for, but in his speech he said two years ago they had made a difference by requiring candidates to support the party platform. I wasn't listening as close as I should have, but the idea was that you should support the party platform right down the line or not even be allowed to run as a Republican. Whatever position he was elected to has something to do with that, I guess.
   I wonder if on none other issues, immigration would divide me and many others if the rule of the platform is applied.
   There is one Democrat running for House 44, and three of us Republicans. I saw signage or polished-looking posters for one of the three being put in a car as we pulled out of the parking lot (I rode home with a friend), so I would guess at least one of the other two will be well financed.
    I've also been thinking about what contributions I might accept. I do not plan on accepting any from any company, nor from entities such as UEA, but I probably will decide to accept party money.
   (Two edits made 3-28-14, including adding the third to the last paragraph.)

No comments:

Post a Comment