Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Medical Condition that isn't Even Covered by Insurance

    I'm not sure I've ever heard of this before: A medical condition that isn't even covered by insurance. Autism isn't covered by most, and perhaps none of Utah's insurers. Would be worthy to call them all up and see if any cover it.
   So, along comes SB57 to require insurance companies to cover autism treatment. Now, I've got to decide if I favor the legislation. Well, I want to decide, that is. Don't have to.
   My guess as to why insurance companies don't cover it, is that it is too expensive on them. Autism therapy can cost $150 a session. That could stack up, especially since autism is an on-going condition, not something you get for a month and then its gone. I understand, though, that spread across all payers, premiums would only go up about 15 cents. That sounds worth it, for how much the treatment benefits those with autism.
   One thing I'd like to know, is why the treatments are so expensive. Seems like they should be much less. I do wonder if simply encouraging more providers of treatment to enter the market would be an answer. Then, insurers would provide the coverage without being required to do so.
   Time for bed, though, so no time to discover what the treatments even consist of.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/autism-families-fight-insurance-coverage-diagnosis-treatment/story?id=18856645

http://www.utahautismcoalition.org/p/autism-insurance-q.html

http://le.utah.gov/~2014/bills/static/SB0057.html

No comments:

Post a Comment