Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Throw a Party for John Swallow

    What if we expected ourselves, the electorate, to act like Christians in the way we treat our politicians?
   I'm serious here, so step up and hear me. Let's talk about John Swallow. I think we should throw him a party. Or, maybe we could all bring banners and signs saying, "We love you, John Swallow," to the park and march around until the news shows up, so he would see us on the 10 O'clock and know we love him. Or, maybe, instead of letting the news carry the message, just carry the signs in front of his home for an hour or so. I worry that might be invading his privacy, but being it is a show of love, maybe he wouldn't mind. What do you think, should we do it?
   Remember, I said I'm serious.
   Look at it this way: You can't help but look at all the humiliation he is going through and not feel sorry for him. You don't have to like what he has done. You don't have to condone it. But, surely you feel for him, just the same.
   So, Christians, what will you do? What would a Christian do? I'm thinking a Christian forgives. I'm thinking a Christian shows love towards all, as in everyone. And, well, that includes wayward politicians.
   The idea of throwing a party for someone who has misbehaved might seem a little off-kilter, but actually the Good Book tells a story in which that is exactly what was done. You've heard of the Parable of the Prodigal Son, haven't you? The father had a wayward son who had been living riotously, and what did the father do? He threw him a party.
   I suppose you can call me a hypocrite for calling for a party for John Swallow, and not taking the time to actually organize it and do it. Yes, it is highly unlikley to happen. But, I wish it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment