Friday, March 28, 2014

Are We Forcing Our Values on Others in the Same-Sex Question?

   The danger in the same-sex marriage question is, are we forcing our values on others?
   If a heterosexual marriage, by all accounts, is the just and moral marriage, while the same-sex marriage, by all accounts, is not, then let us have laws against same-sex marriage.
   But, of course, that is not the case. Same-sex marriage is wrong to some of us, including to me, but it is hardly by all accounts immoral and wrong. Far from it. These days, I would guess most people think same-sex marriage is moral and okay. It is not like robbing a bank. Almost no one would argue robbing a bank is okay. It is clearly wrong. So, having a law against that is understandable.
   Same-sex marriage cannot be classed as a wrong so easily. Not at all.
   Often, I hear the reasoning for banning same-sex marriage as being that we are a Judeo-Christian nation with Judeo-Christian values. Marriage between a male and a female is one of our values. The problem with that argument is, it suggests the values of the people should be honored . . . and, fact simple, we are reaching a point where most people's value is that same-sex marriage is okay.
   Whether we like it or not, that is the value.

1 comment:

  1. I see it this way--those valuing same sex marriage want everyone to value it. (Some promoting it simply want validation and some admit they want to make idea of marriage null.) It is impossible to not impose values, but we can choose whose values to have our laws support. As for using majority to determine which values the law should support I say, it is a sad day when the majority chooses what is not in society's best interests. I also though wonder if what is the majority is being misrepresented.

    In regards to thinking there is no harm for society to not hold value in marriage as between a woman and a man I agree the effects might not be noticed immediately, but I think laws supporting it are understandable because there are long term negative consequences of large magnitude. (and I obviously have no proof of what is to happen, but I believe the warning in the "Proclamation to the Family". Changing what marriage means is only one component of disintegration of the family, but it is a part.

    I'll add that I believe there are people that naturally have attraction to those of same sex and I am not asserting they are problems. I don't understand their trials and hopefully I'm sympathetic and respectful. I don't know what the solution for their dilemma, but I'm certain its not promoting unions of same genders and calling it marriage.

    ReplyDelete