Friday, March 21, 2014

On Abortion and Two Things I do Not Understand

   These are things I do not understand: 
   One, Why more states do not pass laws declaring the unborn to be living. Harry Blackmun, writing in the majority opinion in Roe v. Wade, suggested that if the state had established the life of the unborn, if Texas had declared that "personhood" exists before birth, Roe's case would have collapsed.
   We speak of Roe v. Wade. We speak of the the famous law, now 41 years old, that made abortion legal. Blackmun's words indicate that if a state adopts such a law, then a case coming out of that state should not not go against the unborn.
   I do not know if any state has such a law. Any. Forty-one years after Roe v. Wade. I hear one news report say seven states have passed such laws, only to see them overturned. I see another story of a court ruling against a bill before it became law. I don't know what the real count is. But, I would not be surprised to know no state has such a law.
   The second thing I do not understand is how a court could overturn such a law. Why would a law declaring a fetus to be a person be illegal?

1 comment: