Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Congress Freezes When it Should Take Action

   I have not yet caught up with the speech President Obama offered tonight, on planned military actions in Iraq to counter ISIS.
    But, I remain of the opinion I offered yesterday, that Congress should be the one weighing what we should do. While I was posting last night, I couldn't help but thinking how Congress is too dysfunctional (that's my word, and I hesitate to use it) to be carrying out its responsibility. I was surprised to hear KSL's Ethan Millard say something of the same nature as I listened to the radio on my way to work.
   And, I picked up the paper during my lunch to read of Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon of Calif. saying, "As a practical matter, I don't really see the time that it would take to really get this out and have a full debate and discuss all the issues." (McKeon is chairman of the House Armed Services Committee.)
   That is precisely the problem, I thought: Congress is not inclined to make fast decisions. See: budget deficits. Oft-times, Congress comes to no decision at all. See: immigration.
   Forgive me, Rep. McKeon (who I like and who I met while I lived in his area), but, as a practical matter, that Congress is not able to act on this in a timely fashion shows have gravely inoperative it has become. It cannot act on the issues when they need to be acted on. It's processes and procedures and divisions and hatred between Democrats and Republicans leads it to freeze over instead of carrying it into action.
   This points out how urgent it is that we reform the process and set in place procedures to provide that when action is required, action takes place.

No comments:

Post a Comment