Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Respect Those of Same-Sex Attraction & Those Who Don't Believe in it

  I believe you have the right to believe as you do, the right to practice same-sex unions, without being discriminated against in the work place and without being denied housing.
  But, I also believe I have the right to believe that same-sex marriage is wrong, that marriage should be between man and woman. And, I don't feel I should be discriminated against by being fired for expressing my belief.
   Perhaps that is a fair summation of the sentiment that has brought about legislation drafted in the Utah Legislature and announced today. The state is hailing the bill, SB296. And it is indeed an achievement, that a bill should favor defending the same-sex marriage, and, at the same time, defend those who do not believe in such marriages.
  The bill has attracted supporters from those in the LGBT community. That is of note. We will wait to see if it also draws opposition from others in Utah's same-sex community. I hope not. It would be neat if the bill pleases both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment