Thursday, March 5, 2015

Whether Health Care is a Right, is it Right to Provide it to Everyone?

    A picture of someone holding up a sign, saying, "Health Care is a Human Right," rolls across my Facebook page, and Connor Boyack, the poster says, "No, it's not."
   I reply:
  Maybe we should view the question not from a standpoint of whether it is a right, but whether it is right. If you can help someone, should you? If someone will suffer without medical attention, should you leave them to suffer?
   Never has society beheld such medical advances as what we have today. So, such medical care could not be offered in past societies. Today, we know how to treat many diseases and conditions, and the question is whether we should ensure that as many people as possible are reached with these benefits.
   Have them pay for what they get, then? I have no problem with that. I do not know what work provisions Utah Cares has, but I understand Healthy Utah does have some. My thought is, it would be wonderful if every person placed in Healthy Utah (or Utah Cares) were also placed in a job, even if it were a second job as their first doesn't earn enough money.
   Don't know if that could be done, but I think it would be ideal. And, I know it won't get done unless we try. So, I say, make the effort to place them all in jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment