Monday, April 20, 2015

Was it Prophesied that there Would be Many Atheists in the Last Days?

   As more and more turn to atheism, as I hear of projections that it might overtake Christianity as the world's top belief, I stumble into a a couple passages in 1 John 2 (verses 18 and 22) and wonder if we are not seeing the fulfilling of prophecy.
   Now, this won't be an easy prophecy to cite, for it suggests the end of times were back in the day just after Christ died. This passage I found is not the prophecy itself, but it contains reference to that prophecy. It suggests there had been a prophecy that many antiChrists would come in the last days. And four verses down, it says the antiChrists are those who deny the Father and the Son.
   That would be the atheists, among others.
   So, was there a prophecy that in the last days, there will be an abundance of people who do not believe in God, the Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ? Was there a prophecy that atheism would rise? I do not know, but it seems worthy of wondering. (And, after reading 2 John 1:7 and 1 John 4:3 -- where the same definition of antiChrist is given -- I wonder only the more.)
   Yes, it is true that some studies suggest atheism is faltering, not growing. You might suggest that undercuts the premise of what I am saying. For now, I will simply say, I do believe we live in a day in which many are turning from Christ and denying him. And, while I have read stories going both ways, some saying disbelief in God is not faltering, the weight of evidence provided by the articles saying disbelief is faltering is persuasive to me.
   As for the author of 1 John saying that that was the last of time, as opposed to either today, I wonder. Is it an example that the New Testament writers were not infallible, and that the author wrongly came to the conclusion it was the end of times?  I, frankly, have no major problem with that, if if John wrongly thought those were the end of times. But, I know many shall.
  Or is there another explanation, another reason he spoke of then as "the last time"? Was back then when the antiChrists were to be so many, not today?
   And, so I am left to wonder if I am seeing prophecy being fulfilled before my eyes. I do not know, but I wonder.

(Blog slightly reduced and altered 4/21/15.)

No comments:

Post a Comment