Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Eighth Amendment Does Not Allow for This

    Today, Salt Lake Police Chief Chris Burbank was forced to resign after not demoting his deputy for sexual harassment.
  I think of the Constitution, and how the Eighth Amendment says, "Excessive bail shall not be required, no excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted." That has come to be interpreted, in part, to mean the punishment shall not exceed the crime.
   Sexual harassment is not something to be condoned, at all. But, is everything that fits under its umbrella to be punished equally? In theft, we have different gradations. If it is above $500, for example, it becomes a felony. 
   I think we should consider what should be the appropriate punishment in this situation. I know no more than what I have read today, but I understand Deputy Chief Rick Findlay shared bikini-clad pictures of the women, and that he said a picture of one of them showed the woman naked.
   What is the appropriate punishment? I do not know. Firing the officer? Maybe, but I consider heavily that that might be overkill. I do know this, I do not think an appropriate punishment is for the officer to be sued for an excessive amount. Could the women be expected to work in the same department with him after he had shown the pictures? I am not as certain as many that that could not have been achieved.
   We live in a litigious society. We live in society where finding an offense can lead to great persecution. We live in a society that sees it as a duty is to find a fault and poke a stick. I believe we should wonder at what the Constitution warns against -- excessive fines and cruel punishments. I do not know how much the women are suing for, but I question whether it is just. I also think of the punishment Chief Burbank has received for not demoting Findlay. Is it a cruel thing that he has lost his job over this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment