Tuesday, March 1, 2016

For Health's Sake, not all Laughing is Created Equal

   Skip the gym. Head straight to the comedy club -- for your health's sake.With the thought that laughing reduces stress and benefits health, it could be argued watching television sitcoms and taking in other forms of comedy is a health benefit, same as going to the gym.
   My feeling, though, is that not all laughing is created equal. There is certainly a difference between the laughing that comes from a truly funny joke and the laughing that comes with enjoying the unfortunate plight of others. I suppose I picture in my mind a wicked witch laughing as she rides away on her broomstick. She laughs not at a joke, but at the damage she causes to others.
   That type of laughing, it is my guess, is not beneficial. It is my guess that mean-spirited humor is not a tonic like more strict forms of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment