Saturday, March 5, 2016

I'm Grateful for Investigations into Justified Killings

   More than a month has passed since his killing. Today, supporters of LaVoy Finicum gathered at the state capitol to protest his death and rally for the cause he had fought for. I mourn with them. From what I read, he was a wonderful person. I largely do not agree with what he advocated, though. And, I certainly do not feel the take over of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge was justified.
   Now, of course, whenever someone is killed, there should be an investigation. It does not matter that the FBI was involved. Human life is precious. Anytime there is a killing, the life lost deserves at least to have someone look into whether the death was justified and necessary.
   And, in the Finicum case, there is an investigation underway, it being by the county attorney and sheriff's office. I do not know whether the two agencies involved in the shooting, the FBI and Oregon state troopers, are conducting internal investigations, but they should, and I would guess they are.
   Tonight, I just post saying I am grateful we have these investigations. I hope each is as thorough as can be reasonably expected, complete with questioning all potential witnesses and those who might know pertinent facts, with no investigation so limited that it does no more than wait for an autopsy report.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment