Thursday, March 31, 2016

Refugees: Those Who do Care can be the Ones Who Give the Care

   I open Facebook. A poster laments immigrants coming to the United States from Mexico. I comment back, suggesting it would be nice if just those of us who do care about them could help them.
   And, yes, it would be nice if the burden of caring for them could be relegated just to those of us who want to help them. It would be nice if the burden of care didn't need to be handled by those who feel we should not be allowing them entry.
   As I posted my reply, I wondered if such a program -- one that singles out those who care to do the giving, does exist. I haven't caught up with the story yet, fully, but The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints just called on its members worldwide (or, at least on the members of a church service organization, the Relief Society)  to help refugees. Is that just the European refugees, or does it also apply to the immigrants coming across our southern border?
   I take a moment to open the website the church has announced, iwasastranger.lds.org, and quickly search, wondering. But, I find no verbiage other than that speaking of refugees. Perhaps, so far, the church is leaving it to the individual to decide if they want to include those coming across the southern border. Some, however, would probably say it does not apply to those people, as the term "refugee" normally is not used for someone coming across the southern border.
   "For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in; I was in prison, and ye came unto me." The church website does quote that verse from Matthew 25.
   I only know there are many coming from across the southern border who are in this situation of needing help, the same as those who are refugees over in Europe.
   “For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in; Naked, and ye clothed me; I was in prison, and ye came unto me.”   Matthew 25:35-36
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment