Monday, August 28, 2017

Kaepernick Tries to do the Right Thing, and We Condemn Him for it

  I am not a Colin Kaepernick hater. He is one of the most unpopular people in all
America, I would guess. But, I am not among those who hold him in disfavor.
  Consider why Kaepernick does not stand and place his hand on his heart. If I am correct, it is because he does not want to salute a country where so much racism remains. He is basically saying, America. you need to get your act together on this issue. You are falling short.
  Do we fall short?
  I read an editorial in the Deseret News, suggesting that while America should unite behind racial equality, not saluting during the Nation Anthem is not the way to go about protesting.
  I'm not so sure Kaepernick is so much trying to protest as he is just trying to be honest in his feelings. He doesn't feel he should salute a nation falling short in treating all people equal, so he doesn't salute. You want him to find another way to protest? That doesn't deal with the fact he doesn't feel right about saluting the flag.
   By telling him to salute the flag, what am I saying? No, Colin, you should feel you can salute a country that doesn't treat all people as equal as you would like? Or, am I saying, No, Colin, racism doesn't reach to the level that you should refuse to salute the flag? Either way, I'm demanding he adopt my opinion, instead of having his own.
  I believe in tolerance, especially for people who are just trying to do the right thing, who are true to their convictions despite facing a national firestorm of hatred, or, at least, a national outcry of outrage. Bravery is standing true to your convictions. I admire him for risking his NFL career in the name of standing up for what he feels he has to stand up for.
   If a man feels he cannot morally salute a flag until it makes a little more progress against racism, who am I to tell him he is wrong to have that opinion? I do not view him as anti-American. I view him as someone who wants to make America better.

No comments:

Post a Comment