Monday, August 7, 2017

There are Natural Consequences and Government Consequences

   There are consequences in most any choice. If a person chooses to smoke, there will be consequences. Often, the threat of those consequences -- the threat of what might happen -- influences us to do good. If we are reminded (in a kind and caring way) that drugs might ruin our lives, we will be more likely to steer clear of taking them.
   Does the threat of what might happen -- the threat of consequence -- ruin our agency? Does it reduce our agency? I don't think too many people would say it does.
   Now, I would draw a parallel: Even as natural laws that bring consequences do not take away agency, neither do many of the laws of government erase our agency. If I smoke, I might get lung cancer. If I smoke pot, I might go to jail. In each case, there is the threat of a consequence. But, in each case, my ability to choose remains. I can smoke cigarettes and get cancer. And, I can smoke pot and go to jail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment