Monday, January 8, 2018

Bundy Should Pay the Grazing Fees

   And, Cliven Bundy walks free.
   He let his cattle graze on public land for 20 years, it is said, without paying the grazing fees. Is this true? Or, did he try to pay?
   I believe if he did fail to pay a valid bill, there ought to be consequence. I see how the judge dismissed all 15 counts against Bundy, his sons and the militia leader who supported them. Was failure to pay grazing fees one of the charges? I don't know. The story doesn't say. I don't know what all the charges were for, and don't know that I would agree with them.
   But, I agree with the notion of prosecuting Bundy for non-payment of grazing fees, if, indeed, he had failed to pay that bill. If the feds do appeal the case, I wonder if they ought to clip most or all of the other charges.
  Bundy has said he will likely do more of the same in the future. I would say, next time, don't try to remove him, and don't try to remove his cattle. Just go to court over the non-payment of fees. If the law doesn't provide for jail time for not paying the fees, but only assesses further fees, write a law that makes failure to pay a prison-able offense.
   Wrong is wrong, and failing to pay for grazing fees is wrong. If the BLM has been charging too much, as a judge, rule it was excessive. Then wait and see if Bundy at that point will pay. And, if he doesn't, take him back to court.

No comments:

Post a Comment