Friday, June 1, 2018

Response to School Shootings? Maybe it Should be up to the States

   I notice in amazement that despite all the calls to do something about school shootings, our government does nothing.
   Well, tonight it occurs to me that all powers not specifically given the federal government are reserved to the states. How far to we take that? There are obviously a lot of federal laws that could be said to violate this principle. But, should we be sticklers about it? Should we say, if we don't like it being set up the way it is, then change the Constitution to allow the federal government to do more.
   But, until then, quit looking for the federal government to pass laws affecting the school shootings.
   I think of the Parkland shooting, and how it was the rage of discussion even at the time Utah's legislature was in session. I think how Utah decided to study the issue, and put off making laws till later.
   Does that mean next year, Utah will come up with a legislative response?
   I think of Florida, and how Florida did come up with some legislation. In seeing that, I wonder if much of the of the nation is more cognizant than what I have been about state rights. Yes, throughout the past week I've thought about states and communities making the decisions, but that it might be specifically in violation of the Constitution for the federal government to make the decisions didn't really rest in my mind until this evening. I didn't make that connection until just a few hours ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment