Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Should Police have Right to Kill When the Fleeing Person is a Threat?

   I read with interest a story about Zane James being shot as he was fleeing from police. I think of other stories we have heard about individuals shot while fleeing. I wonder if some are shot for fear they are considered a threat to the public. Do we have laws governing this, giving police leeway to make such judgment calls?
   Whether James' case was one in which there was such a concern, I do not know. I'm guessing it was not. Still, I wonder on how much leeway should be given to police in weighing whether -- if he escapes -- the fleeing suspect poses a danger to the public.
   I'm not ready to say don't give police such leeway. Perhaps, we should.  I can see the need to protect the public. But, there is also a danger in giving police too much free rein. Having free rein leaves a window open for abuse.
   I do not know the answer tonight, but wonder what language should go in such a law, that it would give officers the right to shoot in needed situations, but would not leave too much of an opening for abuse.
   I just believe that if you leave room for abuse, you will likely get abuse. And, I believe you write the law so it leaves the smallest window for abuse as is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment