Saturday, August 25, 2018

Add This to the List of Songs About Immigration

    Add this to the list of immigrant songs: "It Never Rains in California," by Albert Hammond. It is his immigration story, telling of his boarding a westbound 747 to make it in Hollywood as a musician. I believe he immigrated from Gibraltar, as that is where he is from. I've listened to and sang this song a thousand times, but never noticed the immigration angle until tonight I was listening to it, and noticed the line, "All that talk of opportunity . . . rang true, sure rang true."
   Alas, I still don't like the line in the song that says, "The girls only warn ya."

1 comment:

  1. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! NIW

    ReplyDelete