Thursday, August 9, 2018

Deseret News again Rejects My Comment

My online comments to the Deseret News are continually rejected. Time after time, I have not saved them (copied them), because I did not imagine they would be rejected. Today, I copy-saved my comment before submitting it, even though I again did not suppose it would be rejected. Well, it is on hold. Here's the comment. It is to a story on Melania Trump's parents getting their citizenship. What think ye? Is it unfit for publication? I did misspell the word "possesses," but other than that, I think the comment okay.

"Amalija posseses a Jackie Kennedy look. 
"We should not be too quick to criticize President Trump. He might not have even endorsed his parents-in-law using the route to citizenship that they did. We don't know.
"The shocker in the story is that chain migration accounts for half of the immigration -- that legal immigration would be cut in half if we cut out chain migration. So, to those who say they aren't against immigration, just illegal immigration, if you favor ending chain migration, you are against half the legal migration.
"I'm not sure such things as legal status should be protected by privacy laws. Aren't such things as marriage licenses public records? Why, then, should this be protected? We, as citizens, should have the right to know, especially as immigration is a public issue and a public matter
-- John Jackson (aka Immifriend)"

Note (added 8/11/18) Bless the Deseret News. I rewrote the comment, leaving out the part about marriage licenses being public records, and they published it. Marriage licenses are not public in Utah for what, 75 years? I'm not sure about other states, though, and wonder if they are not still public record in some states. And, bless the Deseret News whether they post by comments, or not. It is a wonderful paper and it is wonderful of them to offer online commenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment