Saturday, February 9, 2019

I want the Book of Diagrams on My Desk by 2022

  The Book of Diagrams would certainly be an advancement of our understanding of medicine. There should a book such as this.
   Diagram a cough. Diagram congestive heart failure. Diagram cancer. The book would contain them all.
  About a year ago, I was discussing a doctor visit with a friend. I can't walk much. The doctor had diagnosed it as a bad hip, and wanted to replace it. My friend was retired, but she had once worked at the very medical establishment I was seeing. She, of course, felt, I should be operated on.
   Anyway, while in the process of discussing it all, I mentioned to my friend that it seemed like doctors should be able to tell me exactly what is happening, step by step, telling me in exact fashion the process that was leading to my not be able to walk.
   Not that the doctor wasn't able to tell me some things. The cartilage was gone. I was walking on a hip without cartilage. So, when I walked, it was bone-on-bone. Do you need to diagram it more than that?
   Yes, you do.
   What about each of my pains? What about each of my steps, and the pain that comes into them as I walk farther and farther? I stand up -- not yet having taken a step -- and at that point feel fine. But, the moment I take a step, the pain sets in. We -- living in such an advanced age of medicine -- ought to be able to diagram what is going on: When you place greater weight on the leg, an impulse detects both the increase in weight and the shift in bone positioning, and sends signals of pain to this spot and this spot to warn that the movement is not advisable.
   That would be my diagram. I don't know that the doctor would diagram it the same way. He might say: When you are standing still, there is no brushing action in the bones, one scraping against the other. It is only when you move that that scraping action occurs, so when you take a step, you feel the pain.
   I would want him to take it further. I would want him to explain why I tire, what is the process that leads to pain and tiredness increasing the further I walk. Why is it a tiredness -- almost a feeling that oxygen or something is being pinched out? There is stiffness involved. Are the stiff muscles preventing body fluids from reaching the body parts?
   Anyway, I suggest a book of diagrams. I am guessing no such book exists. I am guessing, in fact, that despite medicine being so far advanced, it is not this advanced. It knows cures and fixes, but it cannot diagram all the causes.
   Perhaps some it can. Perhaps we know that when you get a cough, it is because phlegm is hanging in your throat. You take a drink of water, and the phlegm might be washed clear. Or, you take a cough drop, and it causes the phlegm to break up. Something along those lines would be the start in diagramming how a cough works. Then, you would need to diagram how the cough came on in the first place: It was cold outside and you went outside, and the cold air touched the tender tissue of your lungs, affecting the ability of those membranes to function. To protect against this, the body sent a message to create phlegm, to cover over the otherwise unprotected membranes of your lungs. The phlegm is but an attempt by your body to keep your lungs functioning.
   So, I propose the Book of Diagrams. Every malady has a process that brings it about. Medicine, I am speaking to you. If you are so wise and advanced, diagram all my pains and sufferings. And, if you can't, then commence studies to determine what these processes are.
   I want a Book of Diagrams, and I want it on by bookshelf by, say, 2022. Are you up to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment