Monday, February 25, 2019


They say a bird will migrate,
They say a fish will, too,
Even little insects
To avoid being squished in two

Every major animal
They all go back and forth
So you begin to wonder if the human
Goes from some kind of south to north

I consider all the Christmases
All the Thanksgivings, too
I think of summer vacations
And, migrations to the zoo

Every form of life,
Has its migration set
And in the human's makeup
It's there, too, you can bet

Now, if you know migration
It's not just a yearly thing
Other forms of migration
Are more than a summer fling

Some animals flee the winter
Some come in search of food
But they all seek a better life
Where happy is more the mood

And so it is with the human
He comes from Honduras up
Just like an animal seeking shelter
From storms that might disrupt

Now, think of all this travel
By animals and man
And, notice every trip is taken
To reach beaches filled with sand

The migrants from old Mexico
And, those from Ecuador
They all have a reason
For knocking on our door

It's Christmas here, year-round to them
And they seek to celebrate
Holidays with family
In a land that is so great

America, America
Where every day's a holiday
Your beaches are our vacation
From life in Uruguay

It's friends and peace and family
It's moving with the wind
And, they fly across the border
And, we call that quite the sin

When all they seek is comfort
As migrants always do
They are birds of the same feather
With us -- with me and you

I think of how the human
The American, he's called
Migrates each year at Christmas
Across borders never walled

I'll tip my hat to strangers
I'll share my Christmas, too
With those from Nicaragua
And those from Timbuktu

I think of all the birds
That gather to this land
And how we'd let a million koalas in
Hailing them as grand

I don't sit partial at the turnstile
Letting just feathered friends on through
If animals can migrate
Humans ought to be allowed to, too

No comments:

Post a Comment