Thursday, August 15, 2019

As I Read about Cordyceps, I wonder

   I sit my small sack of mushroom powder next to my computer as I study one of its ingredients, Cordyceps. And, I wonder.
   As I read how the potential health benefits are promising, and how, in China, Cordyceps has been approved for treatment of heart arrhythmia, I wonder. As I read how much of the research has been limited to animal and lab studies, I wonder.
   I've wondered before if natural medicines get passed over by American drug companies because they cannot be patented and therefore cannot reap enough money for the drug companies.
   I wonder this again, then.. China has approved Cordyceps for treatment of a heart condition. I don't belief the U.S. has. Is it because Cordyceps lacks heavy profitability?
   And, I wonder again at how Cordyceps has been around all these years, yet we are still learning about it. Is this not so with so many of our natural medicines? Cordycepts has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries, yet we do not know everything about it to this day. Studies have been done on mice and such, but not enough studies with humans.
  And, I wonder about the studies that have been done. Government studies? Who funded them? This is important, for I want to know the roll of government medicine versus private medicine. Which one is best? Or, should government do some things and private medicine do others? I wonder if studies currently done by the pharmaceuticals are kept under wraps. Why should they share proprietorial information? This makes an argument for public (read: government or charity-funded) studies vs. Big Pharma studies.


No comments:

Post a Comment