Friday, August 30, 2019

Do away with the Requirement that They Speak English

   If I had my druthers, I'd do away with the requirement that an immigrant speak English in order to gain citizenship.
   I do not like the rule, at all. I suggest that freedom is what America is all about. And, if you are not allowed to be different, you are not allowed to be free.
  We would have the "assimilate." I question the need for this. If they want to go their own way, or do their own thing . . . or speak their own language, I am not against it.
   Their failure to speak English will deprive them of jobs, of social interactions, and of relationships. It will make it hard for them to do most anything.
   Let that be enough. Their failure to learn English will limit them, in and of itself.
   Freedom is not about making everyone conform. It is not about everyone being forced to communicate with each other.
   Freedom of speech should include the right to speak the language of your choice. You should not only be free to say what you want, but to say it in the language you want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment