Monday, August 5, 2019

Exposure to Violence, Easy Access to Guns in Very First Mass Shooting

  Two things from what was arguably the very first mass shooting in modern history: The shooter, a former Marine, was acquainted with violence, and probably had easy access to guns.
  It could be argued that if we learned just those two things, we might have so quickly found the secrets to avoiding many of the mass shooting since.
  Exposure to violence? Think of our movies and television and video games.
  Easy access to guns? Some would translate that to mean we should ban guns. I will not say no. I wonder, but am not ready to say yes. But, I will say this: A ban on guns would be a reasonable suggested response to that very first shooting. Tell me: Do we know but what if we had banned guns then, we might have side-stepped the continuous string of mass shootings we are experiencing now?
   The same goes for violence on TV and in video games and such. Do we ban it? I will not say no. Perhaps we should. Do I say yes, then? I wonder. I wonder if we should ban some of the violence. I do not know where to draw the line, but I wonder if we should, indeed, draw one.

No comments:

Post a Comment