Sunday, December 27, 2020

How have We Overlooked Those Living Right Under Our Noses?

   I read a story of how a group is bringing water to those in Central America, Africa, and elsewhere. Wonderful of them.

   Then, I consider that I read just this past week of how the comprehensive funding bill just signed into law tonight includes a part that provides $200 million to fund water for those on the Navajo Reservation in Utah. I think of all the years these Native Americans have gone without running water, while we have been chasing off to South America, Africa, and elsewhere, taking care of them (or starting to, for obviously, much needs yet to be done to get clean water to all the spots in the world). I do not fault our efforts to help those in Africa. Let's expand them, not reduce them in favor of the Navajos (and other First Americans living on reservations).

   I just wonder at how we ever came to overlook those on the reservations. I just wonder at how we are doing so little to relief the First Americans living in poverty. They should be smack-dab in front of our eyes. They are living in what is considered the richest nation on earth. We are a nation loaded with philanthropists. And, yet, so many of them are without electricity, without running water, and living in substandard housing.

   How does this happen?  


No comments:

Post a Comment