Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Speaking Evil of Leaders has Nothing to do with being Civil?

   I joined a Facebook group that seeks to have civil discussion. Alas, the page is littered with vitriolic language. Speaking civilly of leaders seems especially ill-regarded, as if that has nothing to do with civility. So, I write my comment to the group:
   "Still do I like the idea of being respectful of those we discuss (government leaders) as part of being civil. Part of why I like it, is that helps set the tone of how we treat each other. Just as much, though, we are a nation divided by hatred, by parties. Why do we suppose this is necessary? Are we a nation of hatred? Have we become a nation of hatred? It does not speak well of us, as a nation, as a people. Do we speak of our neighbors the same as I see us speaking of the politicians? If so, love your neighbor has drifted far from America's heart. Why do we suppose we should treat people right, but somehow that should not include politicians? For those of you who are Christians, I know only of a scripture that says the opposite: 'But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.' " (2 Peter 2:10

No comments:

Post a Comment