Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Three Quick Thoughts on the Impasse being Over

   Due for bed. No time to give any of these these things much attention, but I do have three thoughts as the government shutdown ends.
   1. I read how the bill contains pork. I do not even have time to study, to know if this is true. But, oh, do I wish it were not so. Oh, do I disapprove. It seems this is the formula for getting bills approved, insert some pork. I remember a few years ago when I learned the bill to raise the debt ceiling had pork inserted in it -- and the pork was courtesy of my own senator. This is a bill many congress members consider so vital to approve that even if they violently oppose giving money to a pharmaceutical concern (such was what was inserted), they have no choice but to vote for it. Being so opportunistic as to help a campaign contributor at such a dire juncture of national need does seem not right at all.
   2. I do wonder but what the media failed to give fair play to Cruz and Lee and Boehner, and also to the government shutdown. Wish I had saved the articles. It seems the tone of many were negative -- not just in the quotes from sources, but in the what the news writers said. And, where there any articles at all that searched out any good that might come from the shutdown? If we, as a nation, opposed the shutdown, it is no wonder. The media fed us no other opinion.
   3. And, that brings up my lament. This is opportunity lost. The moment is gone. Many of us have lamented big government for years. Many of us do wonder if it could be cut in half and we would be better off. This was our chance to experiment, to see if we could get along fine without so much government. Would that we had jumped, more, with private charities stepping in to help, and with private enterprise offering jobs to those who had been furloughed. Utah stepping in to open the national parks? That was a wonderful thing.

1 comment:

  1. agree, I was hoping this was opportunity for change and media coverage was biased

    ReplyDelete