Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Of the War in Iraq and of Men's Hearts Failing Them

   This day, you get a Sunday-type post on a weekday, for it is what I suppose I can put together the quickest, and I am late for bed.
   A news story comes, telling of the hundreds of thousands of deaths associated with the war in Iraq, telling of the non-violent deaths tied to the war. And, it says heart attacks and cardiovascular problems were the leading cause.
   Men's hearts shall fail them. I think of the scriptural prophecies of this.
   "And in that day shall be heard of wars and rumors of wars, and the whole earth shall be in commotion, and men’s hearts shall fail them, and they shall say that Christ delayeth his coming until the end of the earth." -- Doctrine and Covenants 45:26. (The Doctrine and Covenants is a scripture book of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.)
   "Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth." -- Luke 21:26. Even so, the study reports men's hearts failing them as they witnessed war, even as the scripture says hearts would fail as there were wars and rumors of wars.
   I do not know whether the scriptures were speaking figuratively of men's hearts failing them, or both literally and figuratively. Nor do I know if the study is correct, accurate. Also, I realize heart failure has probably been a leading cause of death not just in these final years of the earth, but probably for as long as the earth has been..
   But, I do know it is good to look for the signs of the Savior's coming.
   "And it shall come to pass that he that feareth me shall be looking forth for the great day of the Lord to come, even for the signs of the coming of the Son of Man." Doctrine and Covenants 45:39
 


Men's hearts will fail them in the last days? The study says the leading cause of non-violent deaths was heart attacks and cardiovascular conditions. These are just the deaths tied to the war, I understand. How they would know which heart attacks were associated with the war, I do not know. Still, I much wonder if this is a fulfillment of scripture.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/15/20975806-hundreds-of-thousands-of-iraqis-died-of-illness-as-war-ravaged-nations-support-systems-study-says?lite

No comments:

Post a Comment