Monday, August 11, 2014

If We can Afford to Fight for other Nations, We Should


   The pondering I did yesterday probably will stand to help guide me on whether I think certain wars are acceptable. We should not be the world's policeman? I now more definitively disagree. If we can afford it, we should. I suggest we have some responsibility to be the world's policeman, for if we can help another person (another people), we should. I think of a hymn that says something like, "I cannot look at another's need and I not care." If we can make a difference, if we can save a people, we should. If a people are endangered, and we can help, we should. If a people are being slaughtered, then it is that entering a war has cause. For any cause for which we would be justified to enter war to protect ourselves, we should consider helping others (supposing they want that help). If we esteem everyman as ourselves, if we think not only on our own welfare, but the welfare of others, we should consider stepping in and fighting to help them.
  That said, I add that I do not know we can afford to be the world's policeman. And, yes, I do think our national debt might be cause to hold off on entering various frays. I think of the thought saying, I give not because I have not. But, if I had, I would give.

No comments:

Post a Comment