Sunday, August 3, 2014

Is Mockery of Obama Justified?

   "Is there one among you that doth make a mock of his brother, or that heapeth upon him persecutions?"  So we are asked in the LDS scripture Alma 5:30.
   I wonder how we might think this scripture does not apply to our condemning of political leaders. I think of the continual mockery of President Obama, not that the mocking between Democrats and Republicans does not go both ways.
   I will, though, wonder if some mockery is okay. I think of Elijah mocking the priests of Baal when they could not call down fire from heaven. "And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked" (I Kings 18:27).
    Where do we draw the line, in when our mocking is justified and when it is not? I must give that some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment