Thursday, August 14, 2014

We Haven't Figured Out How to Reform the Criminal

   What are we going to do about all the jailbirds? my roommate asks.
   My take is that, we, as a society, miss on a lot as we try to deal with the "jailbirds." Yes, I think some answers stare us right in the face, but we never see them.
   We need to give them jobs, I tell my roommate. Not just tell them to go find jobs, but actually provide the jobs for them. Companies often don't hire criminals. Yet, if we are to reform them, having them in jobs is a must. Can we expect a person who can't pay his bills, who can't put food on the table, not to fall back into crime? Sometimes, crime is all he knows and all that works. Of course he will fall back into it.
   There might be some states, some governments that provide jobs for those after they leave prison, but I suppose I've not heard of them. If they exist, I've not run across them.
   So, I say we, as a society, haven't figured out how to deal with crime and how to reform the criminal. We miss on some very basic principles.

No comments:

Post a Comment